University of Thessaly (Contractor)
The University of Thessaly (www.agr.uth.gr) is the project’s Coordinator and specifically the Laboratory of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management.
The University of Thessaly was founded in 1984 and spans the region of Thessaly with academic departments in Volos, Larissa, Trikala and Karditsa. The administrative and academic center is located in the city of Volos. The primary mission of the University of Thessaly is to transfer critical knowledge through teaching, to promote scientific knowledge through research and to contribute to the cultural and economic development of the local community and wider society. It is known for its outstanding performance in research, in accordance with international standards.
The Laboratory of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Management serves education and research needs in the fields of agricultural management and natural ecosystems, ecology , wetland management and biodiversity conservation.
Municipality of Rigas Feraios
The Municipality of Rigas Feraios is a partner in the project (www.rigas-feraios.gr). Its headquarters are at Velestino. Located between two prefectures Larissa and Magnesia it is the coalescence of two former Municipalities (Feron and Karla) and one former Community (Keramidi). It has a population of over 11,000 inhabitants and covers, within a large geographic region, an area of about 550 square kilometers, characterized by vast plains and the lush mountainous terrain, washed by the clear blue waters of the Aegean Sea. One of the objectives of the Municipality is the protection and enhancement of biodiversity in the region.
Management Body of Ecodevelopment Area of Karla – Mavrovouni - Kefalovriso - Velestino
The Management Body (M.B.) of Ecodevelopment Area of Karla – Mavrovouni - Kefalovriso - Velestino is a partner of the project (www.fdkarlas.gr). Established in 2003, the M.B. aims to protect, conserve and manage the nature and landscape, as natural heritage and valuable national resources of the region of Karla - Mavrovouni – Kefalovriso - Velestino. To achieve the above objectives it implements the following actions:
- Management and enhancement of the natural environment of the region, specifically the currently reconstructing freshwater ecosystem of Karla and the rest lakes (reservoirs) within the area
- Promotion and management of existing habitat of fauna - flora, with particular emphasis on avifauna.
- Strengthening of sustainable development through the rational use of natural resources, especially water resources of the region, with emphasis on the application of principles of environmental directions in the primary and secondary production sectors, and the development of environmentally friendly energy production infrastructures.
- Development of mild forms of alternative tourism.
- Education, public awareness of citizens and stakeholders for a harmonic coexistence of human activities and natural processes.
Hellenic Ornithological Society
Hellenic Ornithological Society is a partner of the project (www.ornithologiki.gr). It is a conservation non-governmental organization for the protection of wild birds and their habitats in Greece. It was founded in 1982 and its mission is to ensure a sustainable natural environment for birds and people. Its work includes a wide range of actions; from protection and research, through education, raising of public awareness and policy making.
- Research on birds and their habitats, in order to implement actions of protection and conservation,
- Raising of public awareness as to the natural environment, through environmental education and campaigning for crucial environmental issues,
- Site intervention and policy making for crucial environmental issues
HOS is a partner of BirdLife International, the largest global partnership of birds and biodiversity conservation organisations.
Nature Conservation Consultants (NCC) Ltd
NCC Ltd. is a partner of the project (www.n2c.gr). It is a consultancy firm in environmental planning, focusing on the conservation of nature and biodiversity. It was founded in July 2010 by a group of experienced scientists specialized in nature conservation, in particular wild birds and their habitats, which is considered to be among the most important and well studied indicators of the status of natural ecosystems worldwide.
NCC seeks to play a catalytic role towards this approach by promoting gainful partnerships for the design and implementation of successful natural heritage conservation interventions. Its philosophy is the implementation of integrated and innovative projects forthe conservation of biodiversity, through the maximum utilization of the company's associate specialists' network the utilization of the opportunities offered by state of the art technologies as well as the applied scientific research on the conservation of biodiversity.